Media center

League strugglers Al Khor grabbed a vital three points against fellow relegation strugglers Al Sailiya after beating them 3-1 in Monday’s early Round 15 QSL kick off at Al Ahli Stadium.

Both sides headed into the game hovering dangerously above the QSL relegation zone so were hoping for a crucial three points to try and pull away from trouble.

It was Al Khor that got off to a dream start, bagging a goal with just three minutes gone thanks to a goal from their Brazilian import Madison who slotted home from close range. Al Sailiya failed to deal with the first corner of the game and after some scuffed clearances from their back four, the ball landed at the feet of Al Khor’s number 5, Sultan Al Enezi, who spotted Madison was waiting in space on the right and squared a ball to the Brazilian who hit it first time and drove a hard shot into the bottom left hand corner of the goal to give The Knights a 1-0 lead.

The rest of the first half was finely balanced in terms of possession but neither side created any clear cut chances on goal and it went into half time 1-0 to Al Khor.

Al Sailiya started the second half well and were playing fluid football until their big number 4, Mostafa Mohamed, took a high boot to the face, giving him an immediate swelling under his right eye and nasty cut on the forehead that took medics some time to treat. This stoppage seemed to break Al Sailiya’s concentration and just two minute after play had restarted, the Brazilian Madison struck again to make it 2-0 from ten yards out.

Al Sailiya looked to regain their composure and get back into the game but any chances of a point were snuffed out when Mohsen Yagur found himself in the six yard box and in front of an open goal on the 79th minute to make it 3-0. Parou Sadeeqi made a darting run that beat the offside trap and delivered a lightening ball across the front of goal which left Yagur with a simple finish from just a yard out.

​There was some last minute drama and a consolation goal for Al Sailiya after they were awarded a penalty on the 91st minute. Despite Al Khor’s goalkeeper Baba Jibril saving the first attempt, replays showed he left his line before the ball was struck and he was sent off with a second yellow card his protests to the referee who blew for the penalty to be retaken.

Al Khor had already used all their substitutes so up stepped his outfield teammate, Ali Abdul Karim, who valiantly put the gloves on and nearly saved the penalty. There was just too much power behind the spot kick though and it went in to finish the game 3-1 to Al Khor. The vital three points draws Al Khor level with Al Sailiya in the league with 15 points each.